Formation of Moles, Skin Lesions & Ways to Remove them
The lesions on skin which are made up of nevus cells are known as Melanocytic Nevi or Moles. Nevus cells are a kind of melanocyte. Ideally, moles get visible on our body during the first twenty years. They appear in the form of tiny dark brown spots as an outcome of the pigment cell clusters. These moles can be categorized into two – Benign neoplasm are caused because of skin growth; Congenital Moles appear because of skin hamartoma also known as slight malformation.
Skin lesions can emerge in different forms. Some common variants of them are as under:
- Skin tissue flaps connected with just a stalk and seen hung on the skin are called skin tags. Most likely areas of their appearance are armpit, back, neck, in the groin region or below breasts and on chest. Weighty people, especially women, and aged individuals are prone to these, but they are harmless.
- A single freckle appearance on skin is called Lentigo while multiple freckles are called Lentigenes. Skin’s exposure to skin leads to solar lentigenes which are alternatively known as liver spots, sun spots, or age spots.
- Skin showing hyperpigmentation is wrongly perceived by many patients as moles but actually, this is Melasma. Reason for Melasma is the hormonal adjustment or alteration during pregnancy. You can spot Melasma from the pigmented area on face and it may well exist on the upper, lower or both skin areas.
Color brown classically demonstrates moles however they may differ in terms of shades, sizes and shapes. Other representing colors are pink, tan, blue, red, black, etc. Some moles are oval while others are round. Tiniest of moles appear as small as a pinhead and the largest of them can encompass a full limb skin.
There is no specific area of mole appearance – you may see them not only in the typically known areas like armpits, back, neck etc but also on fingers, scalp, nose, face and even under nails. Number of moles on a person’s body can be anywhere between 10 and 40. The likely age of their appearance is mid-adulthood but they may disappear in later age.
Susceptibility of Moles:
- Experts don’t spot any specific susceptible reasons for moles but don’t deny tagging this as a disorder associated with a person’s embryologic growth. Beginning trimester of pregnancy is the most fertile period for this disorder, which further leads to abnormal duplication of melanocytes. Proliferation gets evident when melanocytes production becomes rigorously quick and appears as clusters. Result of this appears in some parts of the body by way of abnormal skin pigmentation.
- Moles can be genetic and the hereditary condition causing them is a mole syndrome known as Dysplastic nevi. Person with this syndrome can have hundred or even more moles and on the harsher side, this may go on to variant of skin cancer named melanoma.
- Excess exposure to sun makes skin age early and damages it because of ultraviolet rays further being a cause of melanoma. Sunlight may also form freckles or spots on skin, however mole or spot appearance can be checked with regular application of sunblock, hence eliminating the chances of melanoma.
- Alternation in hormones at the time of pregnancy is one predominant cause, however if the person is diabetic, chances of moles are additional.
Diagnosis and Treatment:
Skin experts either employ dermatoscopy or examine by naked eye to study moles. Non-malignant moles can be tested through online-screening too.
- Treatment is not needed in most of the cases however the expert may go for a biopsy in case of a suspicious mole occurrence or appearance, fearing melanoma or a cancerous mole.
- Hazardous moles, together with small portion of the tissue around it, need to be removed through a surgery. This may be done through excision biopsy. The process involves cutting the portion where mole exists with a sharp device like scalpel, and then skin closure using sutures.
- Surgical shave biopsy is another process for mole removal, particularly when moles are too tiny. Using local anesthesia to numb the region of mole, the mole and adjoining area are cut with a blade.
- People who are likely to moles can take adopt certain cosmetic care methods themselves and keep them away. If the mole is not a threat to the person’s beauty, no cosmetic action is needed but if it is, designs can be used to cover the moles and hide blemishes too.
- Plastic surgeons may adopt laser treatment to remove moles. A more advancer method named Electrocautery or Radiofrequency includes flowing radiofrequency or light electrical current to evade warts, skin tags and moles.
In short, moles appearing in any possible region on the body are mostly risk-free. With bit of self-awareness, cosmetic action and expert help, they can be checked early and be prevented from leading to dangerous outcome.
Dr. Debraj Shome is one of the top/ best facial plastic surgeons, oculoplastic surgeon & cosmetic surgeons in the world and is currently based in Mumbai, India. He is trained from the top institutes in India , the UK, Singapore and the USA and is one of very few Indian surgeons, listed on Wikipedia.