Choosing India as a plastic surgery destination: Is it a good idea?
If you live in USA or Europe and are planning to get a cosmetic surgery done, considering India may be a better idea than you think. Plastic surgery is usually not covered by your insurance and therefore playing top bucks for a procedure may well empty out your bank account. So why not consider India? There are many reasons to do so.
Why choosing India may be a great idea
The truth is that India has very good medical facilities, including some excellent plastic surgeons. You may be all for outsourcing the work of writing a programme or code to an offshore company, but is doing the same for something as critical as plastic surgery a good idea? It’s okay to have your doubts. However, the truth is that you can safely assume that the quality you get in India will be the same if not better than what you can expect in the US or Europe. One reason why this is so is that in India the population is so high that plastic surgeons have more experience per year when compared to those in the USA. This ensures that their learning curve too is steeper. Of course, there might be exceptions but that’s the rule and it’s a good choice if you are looking to spend less money for improving your appearance.
How to make sure you choose the right cosmetic surgeon?
This is very important. India, as mentioned before, has excellent medical facilities. But it is the diligent thing to do to check out options and find out credentials before you select your surgeon and clinic. Here are some pointers for you to keep in mind.
- Researching online about the surgeon and clinic before you contact them for a plastic procedure you want to get done in the country is an important step. It will ensure that you choose well.
- If you have a friend, relative or co-worker whom you know has got a similar procedure done overseas, it is a great idea to ask where.
- Make sure you come to India a few days prior to your surgery. This will give you the opportunity to have a talk with your surgeon, clear all questions and doubts and also take a tour of the medical facility on offer.
- In case you feel that your doctor is not being clear or is acting suspicious, cancel the surgery. India has a huge number of options in plastic surgery available and if you don’t like one, there is no need for you to continue. You can always change clinics and surgeons.
- Make sure that you research about the educational qualifications and experience of the surgeon who is going to perform your surgery. Most cosmetic surgeons will have more experience in a few types of procedures. So the one you choose must be experienced in performing the procedure you want to get done.
Do your homework
Getting cosmetic surgery is no child’s play; it’s serious. Unless you out in enough time and effort in choosing the right staff for the procedure, you may not have a very good experience. It is important to not only check out the surgeon’s credentials, but the clinic as well. What kind of facilities are on offer, the cleanliness, the post-surgical care available: all these things matter a lot when you are in a foreign country getting a medical procedure done. The reputation and credibility of the clinic is an important indicator. Make sure you make your choice with consideration to all of the above.